Snow Deep: Day 1

Sunday January 21st, 7:20am. I wake up to some electronic beep. Alarm clock? No. Text message? Yes. I open up my phone to its from The Shoe (Thomas Shoemaker). "Dude I'm way sick...been throwing up all night...maybe tomorrow we could film my scenes...sorry." I respond, "Annas not available tomorrow and theres no way to film ur stuff w/out her...I already bought parking passes 4 today and in order to film at Who-Song on wed we have to film today." After a few more messages I convinced him into coming. "I'll bring a bucket and we'll drug you up...you'll be like michael jordan scoring 42 points when he was sick." Not exactly what you want to wake up to and certainly not a good sign for your film shoot. Lead actor sick, check. Starting out later then wanting to, check. But what can you do? Fortunately both of these didn't affect the shoot like I thought they would. Tom started feeling a lot better and we were able to get everything done before it got dark.

One thing I enjoy about filmmaking is working with new people. On this project I have the opportunity of working with two actors I haven't worked with before. Take in account that one is a very close friend of mine, but when you step on set or on location communication styles definitely change a bit. I was also very excited about working with an actress (actor, whatever, I don't know what they want to be called anymore) again. And now that I think about it, Anna Shaffer is the first experienced actress I've worked with. Technically, this is the first film she is starring in, but she's starred in 10 theatre productions. I also am thoroughly enjoying being able to work with Chris Martin on this project. The last project we actually worked on from start to finish was SOMA, which was two or so years ago. So having him back behind the camera with me again is exciting, needless to say.
We left my house around noon or so, arrived at Trillium Lake between 1-1:30 and hiked probably about a half mile in to where we would film for the whole afternoon. Although everyone was freezing cold, we all pulled together did what we needed to do and finished strong. Its always encouraging when you have a cast and crew (especially cast members, *cough* Anna *cough*) willing to go the extra mile for your film. Ended up putting Tom and Anna through hell (especially Anna), but at the end of the day, if you look past everyone being freezing cold, it was a really good, fun, productive shoot. Only four more shoots left until the editing room door is opened.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home